American Wrestler Movie

             While I was on my way to Toronto from Shanghai, I watched a movie that my mom forced me to watch. It was called American Wrestler, This movie taught me a lot of lessons to be learned, and was interesting at the same time. 
             This is what the movie was about. Ali Afshar was a immigrant from Iran, where his parents sent him to live in America because the war was too dangerous. While living with his uncle, he had to go to high school which brought up a lot of problems for him. When he first entered high school, he was bullied for his identity, because most Americans were against Iranians. He was constantly being harassed by gangs, and he was tired of it. One day he was sick of it, and decided to take action. He tried to blend in with the gang, by trying to join a sports team. He found the wrestling team, and proved the coach that he was qualified to join the team. He also found out his uncle played wrestling when he first moved to U.S, and his uncle trained him to be the best wrestler. At first he struggled a lot, but later he outplayed a lot of veteran players. He was known to be "The Wizard", because he was very good as an Iranian immigrant. He rose to a high level of play, and became the best wrestler in the state. He proved to everyone that being a newcomer does not mean he could not succeed in life. This was a real story and Ali Afshar is still living.
              This taught people to persevere and believe that even though you may not be familiar with your surroundings, you can still succeed if you try hard. At Ali's time, Iranians kids were drafted to war, because they believed if you died in war you would still go to heaven. Ali and his family did not believe this so they sent Ali to live with his uncle. He later became one of the most successful and hard-working person in the state, because he persevered and believed.
             I have a similar story in my own life, because I too was from another country. Even though I was not bullied or anything serious like that, it was difficult to adapt to the American life. I did not know how public schools work and their stupid school system. At first getting used to the culture was frustrating, but school was so easy which made me good at something. I did not have to go through what Ali did, but I did have to get used to a new way of life. EZ WINS KIDS.
           

Comments

Popular Posts